We at the
The adoption process at NHA is friendly, educational and rewarding! Animals come to us looking for a forever home, and we make certain to give them their best shot. All animals in our Adoption Program, while at NHA, receive spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, and veterinary treatment. And of course, lots of love!
Now, it’s your turn to love them forever. Noticing that we use the word “forever” a lot? Well, it is really important to us that our pets find a permanent home! Therefore, adoption applicants are carefully screened and must meet adoption requirements prior to taking your new furry friend home.
- Be 21 years of age or older
- A picture I.D. showing your present address
- The knowledge and consent of your landlord (if applicable)
- Ability to spend time/money necessary to provide training, medical treatment, and proper care for a pet.
- Those who have been NHA Pet Food Bank clients within the past 6 months are not eligible.
Now here comes the hard part – visit with our wonderful cats and dogs and try to pick just one! NHA Pet Service Representatives are available to provide advice on selecting the best match for you and will schedule a Meet & Greet between family members (including those with four-legs) and your prospective pet to help you determine which animal will best accept your lifestyle.
The next step is to fill out an Adoption Application. After the staff reviews and approves your application, it's on to signing the adoption contract, paying the fee, and taking your new lucky cat or dog home!
- Regular Fees for adoption will range from $45 to $160.
- Fees are based on breed, size, age, etc. and include:
- Spay/neuter (all animals are spayed or neutered before leaving NHA!)
- Vaccinations and veterinary treatment while at the shelter
- Some breeds have additional fees above standard adoption fee due to breed specifications.
- People aged 60 or older may adopt a cat or dog (1 year or older) for free thanks to a grant from Pets for the Elderly Foundation. Some restrictions may apply.
- To receive updates on adoption specials and our pet friendly events please sign up for our e-newsletter: Join our list">CLICK HERE
The Nashville Humane Association reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone. No animal will be adopted to prospective owners who mislead or fail to provide accurate information on the application.